Biographical Sketches G-K From Goodspeed's 1889 History of Camden County
H. George, county clerk, was born in Russell county, Ky., October 20, 1841, and is the son of H. and Jane (Wilson) George, both natives of Kentucky. In the spring of 1842 the parents immigrated to Miller Co., Mo., and located four miles west of Brumley. The father entered a large tract of land, which he improved, and which is now known as the William Pope farm. He remained on this a number of years, and then removed to Camden county in the fall of 1854, purchasing a farm in Jackson township, known as the James Wilson farm, which is one of the oldest settled farms in the county. It was improved when he purchased it, and on this farm he spent his last days, his death occurring in March, 1855. The mother is yet living in this county, having married William A. Bradshaw. They were the parents of nine children, eight now living. H. George was but an infant when he came with his parents to the state of Missouri, and in this state he attained his growth, receiving a liberal education, and followed the occupation of farming and teaching until 1878. He was then elected county court justice, and was also appointed public administrator. In 1880 he was elected sheriff and collector of revenue, which position he held for four years, being re-elected in 1882. In 1886 he was elected county clerk of Camden county, which office he now fills. He owns two good farms, of 250 acres in each tract. He has an unusually fine vineyard on one of his farms. In the spring of 1861 he married Miss Luticia Ulmon, of Miller county, and to them have been born five children: Josiah M., Elizabeth J. (wife of W. R. Waters), Samual H., Milton L. and Frederick A. In August, 1861, Mr. George entered the Federal service, in the Osage Regiment, Home Guards, Company G, commanded by Capt. William A. Bradshaw. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a member of the A. O. U. W., and is an enterprising and intelligent citizen and prominent man. Mrs. Eliza J. Gerhardt, nee Wallace, is a resident of Russell Township, Camden county, Mo. She was born in Benton county, Mo., in 1839, and is a daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Rice) Wallace, the former of whom was born in Madison county, Mo., in 1809, and the latter in North Caro- lina in 1814. In 1838, when the country was new, the parents removed from Madison to Benton county, Mo., where they still live. Jacob Wallace, who is now seventy-nine years of age, is an active, well preserved man for his years, and still delights to hunt as in his former days. Mr. and Mrs. Wallace are the parents of eight children, viz.: Eliza J. Gerhardt, Ellen Smith, George W., James, William, Mary Sally, John Wesley and Alzada Franklin, the two latter deceased. All four of the sons served in the Union army during the late Civil War, in which service John Wesley lost his life. Our subject spent her early life in her native county and in 1856 married August Gerhardt, a native of Germany, who was born in 1834, and came to the United States when seventeen years of age. He first located in Cole county, Mo., but subsequently went to Benton county, where he worked at his trade of wagon maker. In 1862 he enlisted in Company F, Eighth Missouri Cavalry and served until the close of the war, receiving his discharge in 1865. Eleven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Gerhardt, eight of whom are living, viz.: Johanna E. Derrick, Frederick J., Katherine E. Smith, Harmon W., Adolph N., Ulyssimus S. A., Laura and Pinky A. In 1874 Mr. Gerhardt engaged in a general merchandising business in Duroc, Mo., in partnership with Mr. Campbell, whose interest he afterward bought out, and in 1883 he moved to Coelleda, where he purchased the present home and built the store. He owned 160 acres of land, and built all the houses in the little town of Coelleda. Mr. Gerhardt served four years as justice of the peace in Benton county, and was a Republican in politics. He was a member of the Lutheran church, while Mrs. Gerhardt is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. George Griesel, farmer and miller at Climax Springs, Mo., was born in Germany in 1826, and is a son of Adam and Anna E. (Sharp) Griesel, who were also Germans, born in 1774 and 1789, and died in 1840 and 1867, respectively. The father was a farmer, and served as justice of the peace and city appraiser, and was captain of a company of Home Guards in his native land. He was in the war from the time he was sixteen until he was thirty-two years of age, with Napoleon Bonaparte, and was at the battle of Waterloo, under command of Gen. Blucher. Five of his six children came to America, but only two are now living, George and Jacob, of Sacramento, California. The grandparents, Jacob and Anna E. Sharp, were also Germans. George Griesel received a good education in his native land, and in his boyhood days learned the millwright's trade. When twenty years old he was mustered into the army, and was discharged at the age of thirty, having participated in the war between Germany and Denmark in 1850-53. In 1854 he was married in his native land to Catherine E. Leidheiser, who was born in 1834, and is a daughter of John A. and Ann E. (Tibmar) Leidheiser, who were tillers of the soil, and the parents of eleven children, three of whom crossed the ocean to America, and four are yet living: John A., Conrad, Martha E. and Catherine (Mrs. Griesel). Mr. and Mrs. Griesel are the parents of the following family: Anna E. (Darnell), Sophia C., Lou, John A., William A., George K., Mary M., Antulf and Della May. Since 1859 Mr. Griesel has been a resident of Camden county, Mo., and was first engaged in operating the mill for Mr. Arnholdt, but when it was burned during the war he rented land and engaged in farming, and since 1867 has resided on his present farm, and has been occupied in milling. He is a Republican in politics, and cast his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1860. He and wife belong to the Lutheran Church. James Harvey Hall, one of the successful agriculturists of Osage Township, Camden county, is a native of Laclede county, Mo., born October 12, 1861, being a son of James and Mary (Porter) Hall, the father a native of Virginia, and the mother of Kentucky. The father, with his brother William, immigrated to Laclede county, Mo., quite early, and located twenty miles south of Lebanon. They entered land which was wild and unbroken, and remained there until the breaking out of the late Civil War, when the father enlisted, and while in service took a fever and died, as did also his brother. The mother came to Laclede county with her parents when about eight years of age, and, when grown, was married in that county to Mr. Hall, by whom she had two sons: William Edgar, who died February 3, 1888, and James Harvey. The mother was again married, to John Frieze, who is also deceased. By the last marriage she had four children: Louis, George, Ina B. and Arty. The widow now resides near Lebanon. James H. Hall was reared and educated in Laclede county, Mo., and in 1881 he took a trip to Texas, where he worked on a cattle ranch. In 1885 he moved to where he now lives, and is the owner of 200 acres of good land, with about seventy-five under cultivation. He was married May 5, 1886 to Miss Edna Selby, who was born in Camden county, February 16, 1869. They have one child, Thomas E., born October 7, 1887. Mrs. Hall's parents were Legrand and Rebecca E. (Neal) Selby, natives of Ohio, but now deceased. She is their only living child, and was reared by her paternal grandparents, Thomas and Huldah Selby. Mr. Hall is a wide awake, stirring young man, is a successful farmer, and deals quite extensively in stock, especially hogs. F. Hooker, merchant at Linn Creek, and son of John A., and Sallie A. (Cherry) Hooker, was born in Laclede county, Mo., March 13, 1854. His parents immigrated to Laclede county, Mo., at a very early day, settling near the Osage Fork, and were among the first settlers of that county. Here the father died. He was in the nursery business at the time of his death. He was a soldier in the Confederate army during the late war; was with Price, and was captured and cast into prison, where he was kept for some time. He was also wounded during his service, by a gunshot in the ankle. He was the father of two children, a son and daughter: Fernando, and Helena A., wife of Mr. Odenweller. F. Hooker, the subject of this sketch, was reared by his father to the nursery business, and also in the mercantile business. At the age of fourteen he drifted out to do for himself. He was employed with D. W. Faulkner, a merchant of Lebanon, as clerk, and remained with him for about six years. In 1878 he came to Linn Creek, where he engaged in mercantile business in partnership with E. W. Craig, which continued until the fall of 1880, when W. P. Hooker bought out Mr. Craig, and the business was continued under the firm name of F. & P. Hooker. After continuing a short time at this, both sold out, and F. Hooker engaged in the busi- ness for himself, and carried it on alone for about two years. He again sold out and went to Tuscumbia, Miller county, and carried on the mercantile business there until August, 1888, when he returned to Linn Creek. Here he has since remained, and has been engaged in the mercan- tile business. He carries a full line of general merchandise, and is a good business man. He was married in 1884 to Miss Belle Freeman, by whom he has two children: John A. and Lena M. He kept the post office at Linn Creek for about two years. Ephraim Hopkins, a successful tiller of the soil, was born in Marion county, Tenn., September 1, 1829, and is the son of John and Rebecca (Phillips) Hopkins, natives of North Carolina. The parents immigrated to Tennessee at a very early date, and at a time when the Indians were still there. The father was a farmer by occupation, and passed the latter part of his life in Tennessee. The grandparents on both the Hopkins and Phillips sides were soldiers in the War of 1812, and grand- father Hopkins died while in the service. To John and Rebecca (Phillips) Hopkins were born eleven children, four now living: Elisha C., Ephraim, James F. and Elizabeth (widow of William Hicks). The subject of our sketch was reared and educated in Tenn., and made his home in Nashville for about twelve years, and was there engaged in teaming. About 1853, he accompanied by his brother, Elisha C., came to Camden county in search of a location, and here Ephraim settled in about 1857. He entered a portion of land, and bought a part. He owned 881 acres, and has about 150 acres under cultivation. He has deeded this land to his children: John, Alpha, Charley and George W. He has made nearly all the improvements, and has a good farm. He was constable for two years during the war. In 1855 he married Miss Angelina Thomas, a native of Kentucky, who bore him nine children, six now living: John, Rebecca (widow of Dr. Lyon), Christopher C. (deceased), Margaret, James (deceased), Alpha, Charles, George W. and Sarah Ann (deceased). The mother of these children died in March, 1882, and Mr. Hopkins took for his second wife Miss Sarah Herald, a native of Tennessee, who came to Tenn- essee with her parents in about 1866. In July, 1861, Mr. Hopkins enlisted in Company B, under Gov. McClurg, and served until disbanded, in December, 1861, when he was taken sick, and remained in the hospital at Jefferson City until February, 1862. He was on scouting duty most of the time while in service, and now receives a pension, as his eye- sight was affected. He is a member of the G. A. R. and an enterprising citizen. G. S. Howard, farmer, was born in Cole county, Mo., in 1837, and is a son of William and Urana (Roberts) Howard, who were born in Tennessee, but were reared and married in Cole county, Mo. The father was a farmer, and served in the late war in McClurg's company, and died in 1874. His children are as follows: Charlotte (Hasty), Elvira (Bench), Eliza- beth (Starks) and G. S. The latter was reared on farms in Cole and Benton counties, and when eighteen years of age began working for him- self as a farm hand. In 1860 he married Miss Lucy Wisdom, who was born in Camden county, Mo., and a daughter of Pollard and Charity (Mashburn) Wisdom, natives of North Carolina, and by her became the father of the following children: William J., Mary F. (Hicks) and Virginia A. The mother of these children died in 1874, and three years later Mr. Howard wedded Mrs. Marilla J. (Roney) Huffman, a daughter of Thomas G. and Elizabeth Roney, of Tenn., by whom he is the father of four living children: Effie C., Edna E., Ernest B. and Fred. This wife died on the 29th of February, 1888. In 1862 Mr. Howard enlisted in Company G, of the Missouri State Guard, and was discharged in 1865. When first married his entire property consisted of one horse, but he rented land for about ten years, and in 1870 purchased the farm he had been renting, and in 1883 bought the farm where he is now living, giving for it $2,100 in cash. He is now the owner of 320 acres of land, mostly good bottom land, on the Little Niangua River, about 175 acres of which are under cultivation. He is a Democrat, and cast his first presidential vote for Breckinridge in 1860. B. F. Kendrick ranks among the successful farmers of Camden County, Mo. and was born in Washington county, Ark., July 30, 1848, being a son of John and Eliza A. (Hines) Kendrick, who emigrated from Alabama to Tenn. thence to Illinois, and from there to Arkansas at quite an early day. They located in Washington county, where the father's death occurred, but the mother died in Camden county, Mo. B. F. Kendrick is the young- est of their eight children, and until sixteen years of age was a resi- dent of Arkansas. He was a member of the Enrolled Militia at Fayette- ville, Ark., during the late war, and was in several hard skirmishes, and after the death of his father was left to fight the battle of life alone, and until 1874 resided in the following counties in Missouri: Moniteau, Pettis, Cooper and at the latter date came to Camden county and resided for a number of years at Climax Springs. Since that time he has resided on the farm of 130 acres where he now lives. It is nearly all under cultivation, well improved and is admirably adapted to stock purposes, in which Mr. Kendrick is considerably interested. In 1870 he was married to Lucinda Beard, by whom he has a family of seven children: William, Eliza A., George, Laura J., Mary, John and Lizzie. The mother of these children died April 30, 1884 and on the 20th of September of that year he wedded Catherine Nicholson, by whom he has two children, Benjamin and Dora. Mr. Kendrick is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is one of the successful farmers and honored citizens of the county. Pleasant King, judge of the probate court, Camden County, was born in Osage county, Mo., December 20, 1850, being the son of Hugh L. and Delilah (Groves) King, and grandson of John S. King, who immigrated with his family to Osage county, Mo., at a very early date, and located on the Missouri River, where he established what was known as "King's Landing." He was there engaged in the mercantile business, which he continued until the breaking out of the war. He died a few years later. He was a prominent man and a good citizen. Hugh L. and Delilah (Groves) King were natives of Georgia and Missouri, respectively. The father was a farmer by occupation, and this he followed the principal part of his life, although when young he had followed merchandising with his father at "King's Landing." He remained in Osage county, Mo., until his death, which occurred in 1867. He served in the Home Guards and militia organizations during the late war, and held a number of official positions, and was a prominent man in Osage county. The mother is yet living, and resides in Camden county. They were the parents of six children, three living: Judge Pleasant, Laura, wife of John Bunch, and Oliver L. The three deceased were Luella, Sophronia and an infant. Judge Pleasant King was principally reared in Osage county, Mo., where he was educated. He was brought up on a farm, but entered the profession of teaching at nineteen years of age, and con- tinued in that work until admitted to the bar. He remained in that county until 1882, when he removed to Richland, Pulaski county, Mo., where he was engaged in the practice of law and the newspaper business. He was admitted to the bar in Osage county, Mo., in October, 1882. He established the "Cyclone" at Richland, Mo., which publication he con- tinued until 1885, when he sold out. In 1886 he came to Linn Creek, and the same year was elected probate judge, which office he still holds. He is also engaged in the practice of law and real estate busi- ness, and represents the Phoenix (of Hartford) and the German (of Free- port, Ill.) Insurance companies. He was married January 16, 1873, to Miss Anna Agee, of Osage county, Mo., who bore him five children: Ray, Ilma, Edith, Edgar and Nilla, three of whom are now living, namely: Ray, Edith and Nilla. Judge King is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F. lodges.
Home Queries Other Research Links Surrounding Counties

Hit Counter