Biographical Sketches M-P From Goodspeed's 1889 History of Camden County
George W. Miller, postmaster and merchant at Linn Creek, and son of Samuel D. and Aultana J. (Stevens) Miller, was born in Camden county, Mo., August 17, 1852. His father was a native of Overton county, Tenn., and his mother of Wake county, N. C. Samuel D. Miller immigra- ted to St. Louis, Mo., from Kentucky with his mother about the year 1833, where they remained only a few years. In about 1837 they removed to Camden county, where they were among the first settlers. He located on Shawnee Bend, where he resided some time, and then entered and bought large tracts of land. He lived at the time of his death in Jasper Township, near the mouth of the Glaize. He was a farmer by occupation, and died in 1876. The mother died February 12, 1886. They were the parents of ten children, seven now living: Sarah, wife of Edmund Spearman; Mary, wife of John C. Earp; Ann E., George W. and John R. (twins), William J., and Theresa C., wife of Thomas E. Ezard. G. W. Miller attained his growth and received his education in Camden county, Mo. He was reared on the farm, which occupation he followed until 1882 when he engaged in the mercantile business at Cape Galena, Morgan county, with Jesse W. Caffey, remaining with him for two years. In 1884 he engaged with Owen A. Nelson in merchandising, and the firm was known as Miller & Nelson for about one year, when the former bought out Mr. Nelson and carried on the business alone until December, 1887, when David Moulder purchased a half interest, and the firm has since contin- ued as Miller & Moulder. They carry a general line of merchandise, and are wide awake, enterprising business men. Mr. Miller was appointed postmaster in January, 1888. He was appointed county treasurer to fill a vacancy, and held the position for seven months. In April, 1884, he married Miss Florence M., daughter of Frank M. King, by whom he had two children, both deceased. Mr. Miller now owns an interest in the old home farm, and 200 acres of unimproved land. He also owns property in Linn Creek, and is one of the leading and intelligent citizens of Camden county. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is a Democrat in his political views. David Moulder, merchant and one of the pioneers of Camden county, Mo., was born in Grainger county, Tenn., May 25, 1840, and is the son of Valentine and Ann (Yaden) Moulder, both natives of Grainger county, Tenn., and of Itailian and German descent. The paternal grandfather was an early settler of Tennessee. Valentine Moulder was a farmer by occupation, and immigrated with his family to Camden county, Mo., in 1842. He came through in wagons, and located in Osage township, about seven miles northwest of Linn Creek. He entered about 200 acres of land, with about five acres cleared, on which was a little log cabin, which is still standing. He set to work to improve his place, and soon had a number of acres under cultivation. On this farm he remained until his death, which occurred in 1862. The mother died in 1852. They were the parents of nine children, three now living: David, Mary E. (wife of T. P. Groom) and Bertha R. (wife of C. M. Piercy). The father represented Camden county in the Legislature two terms, 1852 and 1856; held the office of county judge for about four years, and was a very prominent man in this county. He had a host of friends. His son, David Moulder, was two years of age when he came to Camden county, Mo., with his parents, and thus it may be seen that he has been identified with the interests of Camden county almost all his life. He received his education in the old subscription schools, and was obliged to walk three and one-half miles to attend the same, the school house being of log, with a hole for a door and a crack for a window. He assisted on the farm, and when the late war broke out he enlisted in the Missouri Militia and served three years. He was engaged in several hard skirm- ishes, and had one hair-breath escape, a ball passing through his hat brim. At the close of the war he engaged in merchandising at Linn Creek, which vocation he has since continued, and is the oldest merch- ant at Linn Creek. He sold goods ten years at Richland, Pulaski county. Mr. Moulder carries a general line of merchandise, and now owns Gov. McClurg's old mansion, which was built under the Governor's supervision thirty-five years ago. He also owns the farm, consisting of 300 acres. Mr. Moulder was elected county treasurer in 1874, and re-elected in 1876, and resigned in 1877 on account of his removal to Richland. He was married in 1865 to Miss Sallie Selby, by whom he has ten children living: Ellen, Jessie L., Cora M., Thomas V., Charles, George C., John D.,Elect E., Emma M. and Sallie. Mr. Moulder is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is a stanch Democrat politically. Hon. Thomas H. B. Moulder, farmer, was born in Camden county, Mo., August 12, 1844, being a son of George W. and Ann (Yaden) Moulder, who were born in Tennessee, and immigrated to Missouri about 1831, and six years later to Camden county, locating on the fork of the Big and Little Nianguas. The father was judge of the county courts for some years, and was a prosperous farmer and stockman. Hon. Thomas H. B. Moulder has always resided on a farm in his native county, and by good management and industry has become the owner of a tract of land consis- ting of 400 acres, with about 150 acres under cultivation, and on which are some very valuable improvements. His farm is mostly bottom land, and is well adapted to raising stock, which occupation receives much of Mr. Moulder's attention. The postoffice of Cave Pump is located at his residence, and he fills the duties of postmaster, and in 1882 served one term as a member of the State Legislature. In 1878 he was elected to the office of county assessor, and was re-elected in 1880, filling the duties of all of these offices in a very efficient manner and to the entire satisfaction of his constituents. Nancy E. Foster, a native of Camden county, became his wife in 1866, and the mother of his nine children, eight of whom are living: Frederick J., Hattie L., Juliett, Sidney, Ann E., George A., Bettie and John P. In 1862 Mr. Moulder enlisted in Company D, Twenty-ninth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and served nearly three years. He was at Vicksburg, Arkansas Post, and was captured at Greenville, Miss., by the rebels, and was kept a prisoner at Pine Buff, Ark., and Little Rock. After being paroled and exchanged he rejoined his regiment at Corinth, Miss., and participated in several skirmishes near Tuscumbia, Ala., and Iuka, Miss., and at the battle of Lookout Mountain was wounded by a gunshot in the left foot, which necessitated his being taken to the hospital, where he remained nine months. He was then transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps, with which he remained for about nine months, being stationed at Camp Doug- las, Chicago, and received his discharge in July, 1865. He is now a member of the G. A. R., and draws a pension for his wound; he has been a member of the Masonic fraternity for many years. Owen A. Nelson, county treasurer of Camden county, Mo., was born in Posey county, Ind., August 29, 1854, and is the son of Alexander G. and Sarah A. (Highman) Nelson, the former a native of Posey county, Ind., and the latter of Iowa. The father was a blacksmith by trade, but never followed it for a livelihood, for farming was his principal occu- pation. He left Indiana at the beginning of the late war, and went to White county, Ill., where he remained until 1868, when he moved with his family to Camden county, Mo., and located near Linn Creek, where he died in 1881. The mother is still living. They were the parents of four children, all sons: Owen A., John W., George W. and Grant. Owen A. Nelson was but a small lad when his parents moved to White county, Ill. He assisted his father on the farm until 1868, when he came to Missouri, locating in Camden county, where he has since made his home. He was elected treasurer of Camden county in 1886, and re-elected in 1888. He is a prominent citizen of the county. He was married in 1876 to Miss Mary A. Russell, by whom he had two children: William G. and George E. Mrs. Nelson died in 1881, and he married for his second wife February 1, 1883, Miss Amanda J. Scofield, a native of Iowa, who bore him one child, Hugh R. Mrs. Nelson is a member of the Baptist Church, and he is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the I. O. O. F. His grandfather Nelson was an early settler of Posey County, Indiana. James J. O'Halloran, a successful farmer and stockman of Camden county, Mo., was born July 28, 1861, and is a son of Maj. Thomas O'Halloran, whose sketch precedes this. He was reared on his father's farm, and received his education in a subscription school, which was conducted at their residence, and also attended the high school of Richland. When about eighteen years of age he began farming for himself, and November 27, 1887, was wedded to Miss Jessie Moulder, a daughter of David Moulder, a sketch of whom is herein given. Mrs. O'Halloran was born at Linn Creek in 1870, and is the mother of one child, Bessie. Mr. O'Halloran has a large tract of land, with about 115 acres under cultivation, all of which is the result of his own energy and good management; he also has a fine residence and substantial out buildings. In connection with farming he is engaged in stock raising to some extent, and like his father supports the principles of the Republican party. Maj. Thomas O'Halloran was born in the "Emerald Isle" in 1827, and there resided until 1848, when he immigrated to the United States with his brothers, Maurice and James, and his sister, Eliza. After landing in New York City they remained there three of four months, and then went to Chicago, where the sister died in the fall of 1848. The bro- thers then came to Missouri, Maurice and James locating in St. Charles county, on a farm, where the former died a short time after. James is now living in Pulaski county. Maj. Thomas O'Halloran remained in St. Louis until about 1856, where he was engaged in the pork packing house of Murphy, McClurg & Co.; then he came to his present farm, which he had purchased the previous year, and which he has resided ever since, with the exception of a short time during the late war. He enlisted as a private in the Forty-seventh Enrolled Militia, and August 12, 1862 was commissioned captain of a company he organized, and September 18, 1862, rose to the rank of major, and afterward to lieutenant-colonel of the Forty-seventh Regiment. He resigned in 1864, after doing honorable and active service. In the fall of 1863, while at home on furlough to put up his winter's meat, a party of six men rode up and inquired of his family the way to Mineral Point, Linn Creek and Tuscumbia. Soon after they left the house the Major though something was not right, and mounted his horse and started after them. When he reached them they asked him which of the three roads led to Linn Creek. He told them not to matter about the roads, but to consider themselves under arrest as prisoners; to which one of them, who afterward proved to be Maj. Rucker of the Confederate army, replied that he thought it rather cool for one man to take six men; but Maj. O'Halloran marched them down the road, single file, for about a miles and half, where he secured help to dis- arm them, and found on their persons over 300 letters for Southern sympathizers in Northern Missouri and St. Louis. For this act of bravery the Major received a vote of thanks from the State Senate, and won the respect and admiration of all his friends. He came to the home place when the war was over, and has since been actively engaged in improving his farm of 440 acres, and has 150 acres in a fine state of cultivation. December 28, 1858, he was married in Linn Creek, by Lewis Coy, to Miss Frances M. Murphy, by whom he became the father of eight children, two being deceased: William D., who died at the age of six years, and Thomas W., whose death occurred when twenty-three years old. Those living are Edwin C., James, Mary E. (wife of Berry Hendricks), Fannie B., John M. and Katie F. Mr. O'Halloran is a Republican in politics. William Osborn, general merchant at Mack's Creek, Camden County, Mo., was born in Scott County, W. Va., in 1831, his parents, Stephen and Lavisa (Bledsoe) Osborn, being natives of Virginia, born in 1802 and 1806, and died in 1865 and 1852, respectively. The parents moved from their native State to Kentucky; thence to Camden County, Mo., in 1841, where they engaged in farming. Five of their twelve children are now living: Ambrose, Nelson, Franklin, Malinda and William. After residing with his parents until twenty-one years of age, William Osborn started out in life for himself as a farmer, and was married in 1852 to Miss Elizabeth Nicholson, who was born in Georgia in 1831, and a daughter of Isaac and Zena (Dawson) Nicholson, who were planters of Georgia, and the parents of nine children. Previous to the war Mr. Osborn had shot over 1,000 deer, principally for their hides, and many other animals also fell victim to his skill as a marksman. In April, 1861, he enlisted in the Osage Regiment of Missouri Home Guards, and was dis- charged therefrom in December, 1861, after which he enlisted in 1862, in the State Rangers, and was discharged in 1863. He re-enlisted on August 16, 1863 in Company D, Eighth Missouri Cavalry, and was dis- charged May 20, 1865, at Springfield, Mo., having participated in the battles of Jefferson City, Boonville, Big Blue, Mine Creek, Indepen- dence, Newtonia and others. After the war he followed farming until 1868, at which time he began merchandising at Lead Mine, Dallas County, Mo., and went from there to Urbana, Mo., where he resided during 1878 and 1879. At the latter date he came to Mack's Creek, and established himself in his present business, which has proved quite remunerative. He belongs to the Christian Church, the Masonic fraternity and the G. A. R., and his political views is a Republican, having cast his first vote for Winfield Scott in 1852. The following are his children who are living: Isaac, Franklin, William, Lucy A. (Harold), Malinda (Bryant), Mary J. (Hack) and Matilda (Ricker). The paternal grand- father, James, was a Virginian, and at an early day moved to Kentucky. The maternal grandfather was Ambrose Bledsoe. William J. Payne, postmaster and tobacco manufacturer at Zebra, Mo., was born in Bedford county, Va., in October, 1835, and is the son of William and Nancy E. (Ashwell) Payne, both natives of Virginia, where they passed their last days. The father was a tiller of the soil and an honest, industrious citizen. His son, William J. Payne, was reared and educated in Bedford county, Va., and was reared to farm life. At the age of twenty-two he began to learn the tobacconist's trade, and worked in a tobacco manufactory for some time. August 18, 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Fifty-eighth Virginia Volunteer Infantry, and served nearly four years. He was commissioned as a lieutenant of his company, and came out in the same position. He was at the battles of McDowell, Cross Keys, Winchester, Richmond, Front Royal, battle of Wilderness, Fredericksburg, Spottsylvania and several other hard engagements. He was wounded on June 27, 1863 by a grape-shot, and was again wounded in 1865 by a gunshot. At the time of his first wound he was permitted a leave of absence, and went to the rear. He served most of his time as adjutant and drill master. At the close of the war he went back home, and remained there until 1868, when he left, came west, and in 1878 he was engaged in hauling ties and railroading. In 1879 he married Miss Elizabeth Frazier, a native of Meigs county, Ohio, who bore him one child, William H. In 1881 Mr. Payne moved to where he now resides, in Camden County, Mo., and is the owner of 167 acres of land, thirty acres under cultivation. He has made all the improvements, having first settled in the brush when he could not see a man at a distance of fifty yards. He is a member of the Agricultural Wheel, and is an enterprising and much respected citizen. Hiram L. Pease, dealer in general merchandise, and stock dealer at Climax Springs, Mo., was born in Fremont, Ohio, January 25, 1860, and is a son of John R. and Mary (Meade) Pease, who were born in Connecti- cut and New Hampshire in 1805 and 1828, and died in Ohio in 1860 and 1873, respectively. They moved to the "Buckeye State" at an early day and were there married and spent the remainder of their lives. The father was a farmer and tinner, and was mayor of Fremont for some time. He was twice married, and by his first wife became the father of one child, and five by his second wife: John R., Edwin E., Helen (Merriam), Francis, one deceased, and Hiram L. The maternal grandparents died in New York and Ohio, at the ages of eighty-five and seventy-three, respectively. Hiram L. Pease received his education in the schools of Fremont, and also attended Blake's Preparatory School, at Gambier, Ohio. When he attained his majority he began life for himself, and was engaged in surveying real estate for six months, and in 1883 went to Montana, where he followed the same occupation for some time, and then returned to his native state. March 7, 1884 he came to Camden County, Mo., where he has since been engaged in stock dealing, and in partner- ship with B. F. Swindler established his present mercantile business at Climax Springs, the firm being known as Pease & Swindler. December 1, 1888, he purchased Mr. Swindler's interest, and has since successfully conducted the business alone. He carries a stock valued at about $2,000 and besides this property owns eighty acres of land and live stock valued at $1,000. He is a Republican in politics, and cast his first presidential vote for Benjamin Harrison in 1888. He also belongs to the I. O. O. F.
Home Queries Other Research Links Surrounding Counties

Hit Counter